Sunday, October 28, 2012

Beijing Experience - Qiaoning Li


This is probably the first time in Notre Dame history that a group of 12 Notre Dame students travelled to China to participate case competition. And also the first time for GVI (Global View Initiative) to have a China session with American students visiting them.  I would say it has been an extremely wonderful week for students from both sides.

My experience is probably little bit different from other students on the team. Born and brought up in China, I had been receiving Chinese education for 18 years of my life. I have always thought that I am no different from my Chinese peers. However, through this trip I found out that Notre Dame education has already made me different. A good example would be the approaches Notre Dame students and Peking Univ. students took to solve the case. Notre Dame students are more focused on framework, the “big picture”, while Peking Univ. students are more focused laying out all the details. In interpreting the case, Notre Dame students are more creative, while Peking Univ. students more realistic, focusing on Chinese economy.
Both approaches are equally important and valuable. And I believe this is probably the reason why our team was able to stand out.

Other than case competition, we had also done a lot company visits, Sino-Steel, China Ocean Shipping Company, Microsoft, and also Cheung Kong Graduate School of Business. It has been very interesting for us to learn about how State-Owned-Enterprises to change their business strategy to accommodate a more open and competitive market and how foreign companies establish their business in China.

Food is definitely great! We had the chance to try many different kinds of Chinese food. Yunan cuisine, hot pot, Peking Duck, Sugar Coated Hawthorns, and even Corporate dinning hall!

This is definitely an unforgettable experience. And I hope we will continue our partnership with Peking University and see some of the smiling faces coming to Notre Dame next spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment